This page is intended to guide employers of nannies, housekeepers and various personal service staff, on hiring requirements and how to properly employ them. It contains links to the Internal Revenue Service website and the New York State Department of Labor website which contains all of the forms and information needed to legally employ a domestic worker or residential employee and understand your rights and responsibilities in New York State. Most other states maintain similar websites where you can easily obtain the forms and information needed for compliance.
- IRS Household Employer’s Tax Guide – Link To Guide
- Social Security Administration Guide for Household Employers – Download PDF
- SCHEDULE H (Form 1040) Household Employment Taxes – Download PDF
- NY State Guide for Hiring Household Staff – Link To Guide
- NYC Department of Consumer Affairs – Statement of Employee Rights and Employer Responsibilities – Link to Guide
- NYS Household Employers Guide for Unemployment Insurance – Download PDF
Get Started as an Employer:
- Application for Employer Identification Number – Online Application
- New York State Employer Registration for Unemployment Insurance, Withholding, and Wage Reporting – Online Application
- Worker’s Compensation – Visit www.nysif.com
Who is Covered by Workers’ Compensation? Domestic workers employed 40 or more hours per week by the same employer (including full-time sitters or companions and live-in maids); Read all about it here.
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility verification – Download PDF
- Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate – Download PDF
Overwhelming? Confusing? Time consuming?
Pavillion Group Payroll Processors and Household Compliance Experts have all the answers. Guaranteed! Learn more…