Suggested Interview Questions
Before conducting an interview, it is important to have an idea of what qualities and skills you are looking for in a babynurse and what your specific position entails. Once you have a clear picture, you can tailor the below questions to your specific needs.
Below are some ideas and questions to assist you with your babynurse interviews. The interview techniques you ultimately use and your verification of their references will ensure that you are hiring the best possible candidate. References will provide beneficial information about the candidate you are considering.
- How long have you been working with children?
- Why do you like working with children?
- How many babynurse positions have you had?
- What were the lengths of time for most of your positions?
- Do you have experience working with multiple children, twins, triplets?
- Do you have experience with first time parents?
- If so, how did you help adjust the baby to its parents?
- What do you find most challenging or difficult about working with first-time parents?
- How comfortable are you giving us detailed reports about the baby and its day?
- Did you normally keep a journal for the baby?
- If not, will you keep a detailed journal if requested?
- How old should the baby be before you start with a sleep schedule
- Basinet Vs the Crib
- Have you worked on cases where the basinet has been in the room with mom and Dad?
- Do you have experience with baby monitors?
Entertaining the Baby
- What is your preferred method(s) of entertaining the baby?
- Do you read to the baby?
- Do you talk to the baby?
- Do you sing to the baby?
- Do you believe in letting the baby cry?
- If so, for how long?
If Breast Feeding
- Do you have experience assisting new mothers with breastfeeding?
- Do you have experience with pumping and supplemental feedings?
- Do you have experience with preemie babies?
- Do you have experience with colic?
- Do you have experience with sleep apnea?
- Do you have experience with reflux?
- Do you have experience with ear infections?
- Do you have experience with allergies?
Before the Baby Comes
- Do you have experience with baby proofing?
- Do you have experience setting up the nursery?
- Do you have a list of things you recommend for first time parents?