Head Gardener/Groundskeeper sought for an expansive, family owned country plantation in the Carolinas. Working in a spectacular setting, the ideal candidate for this full-time, long-term position will be technically skilled, hard-working, organized and thrives in a supportive, positive and collegial work environment. Candidate must have excellent horticultural skills, sound plant knowledge, good communication skills, ability to work independently and able to work outdoors in all weathers. The candidate must demonstrate energy and enthusiasm both for gardening and working with people. The family in residence has a keen interest in the gardens and will work closely with the candidate in planning horticultural improvements and developing various areas of the property.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete ongoing care, health and maintenance of perennial and vegetable gardens, shrubs, trees, greenhouse with orchids, etc., including planting, proper watering/irrigation, weed and pest management, pruning, fertilization/feeding, etc., using best practices.
- Assist with the design; planning and coordination of landscape improvements, garden renovation and bed amendment.
- Lawn care and maintenance for buildings located on the property.
- Proper care and utilization of garden/landscape tools. Operation of small machinery and vehicles (mower, chipper, tractor, tiller, etc.). Irrigation repair and maintenance.
- Other maintenance related work as needed, such as furniture maintenance, painting, etc., or as requested.
- Minimum five years of gardening/groundskeeper experience.
- Associates Degree in Horticultural Science or equivalent preferred.
- Knowledge of regional plants preferred.
- Must pass all pre-hire paperwork, background, and drug testing upon offer of employment.
This is a full-time position with a 5 day work week with a projection of 40 hours per week. Flexibility is required and appreciated. This is a live-out, salaried role. 2 weeks’ paid vacation; no employer provided benefits. Will consider relocating the right candidate. Apply today!